When it comes to word of mouth marketing, field service businesses say, “keep talking!” Word of mouth marketing is the naturally occurring brand evangelism that happens when your happy customers can’t help but tell their families, friends, and neighbors about their fantastic experience with your services, leading to more business for you.
And the best part? It doesn’t cost a dime.
Why Word of Mouth Marketing Works
While you can’t completely control word of mouth marketing—people are going to say what they’re going to say—you can do your darndest to make sure your customers receive the kind of service they want to brag about.
A Nielsen study found that 83% of people trust the recommendations of friends and family more than any other form of advertising. That’s because people trust their friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, etc. These are the people who not only face similar problems with plumbing, pests, leaky roofs, and HVAC systems, but they have similar values with respect to service, price, and overall experience—why not call on their XYZ service provider and save themselves the hassle of vetting on their own?
Get Your Customers Talking
Want to maximize the effects of word of mouth marketing on your business? Listen up, because your friends-and-family-of-customers most certainly are!
- First off, you’ve got to give your customers a reason to sing your praises. Provide truly stellar customer experiences they can’t wait to share with friends and neighbors.
- While WOM marketing tends to happen on its own accord, you should still let your happy customers know that you appreciate their referrals.
- You can even officially thank customers for any referrals they send over with a small token of appreciation, like a gift card.
- Take it to the next level by encouraging customers to post positive reviews in online local directory and review sites like Angie’s List, Home Advisor, and Yelp. Two-thirds (66%) of participants in the Nielsen study, in fact, indicate that they trust consumer opinions posted online, in fact, more than TV ads (63%), newspapers (60%), magazines (58%), and other forms of digital advertising.
- “Seed” a message to your most influential customers that they can share over social media or even pass along in real-life, face-to-face interactions. This can be a case study, photograph, or other piece of branded content that (hopefully) gets passed around the right circles, resulting in more traffic for your business.
Nearly every single one of Automile’s field services customers say they depend on word of mouth marketing to keep new business coming in. Hear what they have to say:
Steve Taylor Excavation: “Word-of-mouth has been our strongest source of marketing & advertising.”
hth companies (commercial and industrial construction services): “Most of our marketing is done through word-of-mouth.”
Elevation Solar: “We take a multi-channel approach. We do social media, Pay-Per-Click, and Word of Mouth marketing. We also have a referral program and if a customer refers a friend, they get rewarded.”
Some people say that word of mouth marketing is the original form of social media. It’s personal and based on meaningful connections. Excellent service is fundamental—and buzz-worthy—so consider using Automile’s fleet telematics solution to help support your customer service. Find out more! Take a look at Technology’s Role In Increasing Customer Satisfaction.
Automile is revolutionizing fleet management with it’s innovative, cloud-based, mobile, and design-first experience.
Try Automile for free- https://automile.com/get-started